My dotfiles and scripts
These configurations and scripts are ultimately optimized for Zsh on Archlinux and support combinations of Bash or Zsh with Archlinux and Debian (or its derivatives: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.).
Installing dotfiles repository
This dotfiles should be installed in a subdirectory of $HOME called
dotfiles. The install script is then used to create the correct
symlinks pointing to the dotfiles and shell scripts.
Clone the git repository in
cd ~ git clone git://github.com/babab/dotfiles.git
Default install - preserving existing configuration
Change to the created directory and run install.sh from that directory:
cd ~/dotfiles ./install.sh # shows help information ./install.sh --confirm # install files
By default, the install script will not create symlinks for any files/directories that already exist.
If you don't care about any existing dotfiles and scripts (e.g.: ~/bin/, ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc) you can install everything. This makes sure there are no clashes with existing configurations and is recommended. Optionally create a (temporary) new user account to check it out and test it. The following command will remove existing dotfiles:
cd ~/dotfiles ./install.sh --force
Small programs and utility scripts
- AFK fishing clicker script for Minecraft using xdotool.
- AFK mining clicker script for Minecraft using xdotool.
- Statusbar script for spectrwm (my favorite WM).
- Create temporary backup (create timestamped tar/gz archives of files/directories.
- A fancy alias for
du -h | sort -hthat tees output before showing a sorted version at the end, paged with less.
- Configure a single git remote with multiple --push urls and a read-only fetch url.
- Count html elements in a html files or stdin.
- Show loadavg as a percentage of cores available.
- Run a command every second.
- Create ctags for a PHP project.
- Show information like mimetype and SHA1/MD5 checksums of a file.
- search recursively for scripts and only show output when there are errors.
- Select a random wallpaper from ~/Pictures/wallpapers and set it using feh.
- Run a http.server, Django or Werkzeug development server depending on project context.
- Blank the screen using xset.
- Save a screenshot of a window or full screen in a timestamped file using scrot.
- Wrapper for
sudo find / | grep "searchtext"
- Toggle touchpad depending on current status using synclient.
- Update system and reboot or halt computer after a countdown if there are no errors.
- Modeline script for rxvt-unicode terminal.
- Switch between using spectrwm or openbox when startx is executed.
- Wrapper for wschemaspy MySQL db graphviz dumps
- Alias for
$@ > /dev/null 2>&1 &to start programs in X from the terminal.
- Send URL in clipboard to youtube-dl (using xclip).